Our Lady Help of Christians School (OLHC) is situated on a large parcel of land on the south-eastern outskirts of Murtoa. It is a small Wimmera farming community situated 30 kilometers from Horsham with a population of approximately 850. The school is part of the St. Paul VI parish and works closely with parishioners from the surrounding regions.
Attempts to start a school in 1953 did not come to fruition. But in 1961, a building committee was formed and the school building was completed by October 1962. Bishop James O'Collins officially opened the school on March 24th1963, dedicating it to Our Lady Help of Christians.
Classes commenced at the beginning of the 1963 school year with 53 pupils. Sr Mary Ethna (principal) and Sr Mary de Porres, Brigidine nuns from the Horsham convent, were the original teachers.
In 1974, Mrs. Veronica Slattery was appointed the first lay principal. 10 more lay principals have served Our Lady’s community over the years while many other teachers have provided assistance in the classrooms, library, and office.
Our Lady's School has grown from its humble beginnings. Since 2002, additional school buildings have been added to the site, including a large library, multipurpose room, art room, front foyer and office, and a student kitchen. The grounds have developed significantly as well. There are two playgrounds, a veggie patch, a multipurpose court, covered turf, and sand pits, as well as many beautiful gardens for staff and students to enjoy.
Plans for a new build in 2024 are well underway and it is an exciting time in the history of Catholic education in Murtoa.